For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love and self-discipline - 2 Timothy 1:7

Saturday, June 13, 2015

~ Take up YOUR Cross ~

Jesus said in Mark 8:34-38 that we as his believers must take up our cross if we want to be his followers. So this means that we must forget about ourselves and get out of our comfort zone. We die to the way that we use to live and put on new perspectives that is of the Lord and daily fight the good fight of faith. What always felt so good in the flesh will not no more, now is the time to suffer. Jesus talks about if we want to save our lives that we must destroy our life it and give up the very life we live for “the good news” (Mark 8:35). I don’t know about you but all this is kind of scary right? All the talk about death, sacrifice and forgetting me? As a new believer, this had me thinking that following Jesus was just too much. Sounded like I had to live a life of so much discomfort and that seems crazy right? May I explain some things?

If you have read any of my previous posts I talk a lot about being sooooo rebellious as a new believer. I had the whole gospel wrong. If someone was outside looking in they would have thought the gospel was about making Monique feel good. I was all about me. I wanted to become a Christian so that I can see what God can do for me and the crazy life I created for myself. I will be completely 100 percent honest. I wanted a new me, new marriage, new peace, a new life all together but I did not know that I needed to work with the Lord to change me. I thought being a Christian was this sense of entitlement. Like you know when you are a child of a King, you just automatically are born into a kingdom. You get the robe, new fancy gold, and an area you reign over? Well, I thought in my warp way of thinking: “I am now a child of God” where are my benefits?” I had no idea following Christ came with a great deal of suffering and sacrifice and when times got hard I bailed. I did not like how I was feeling in trials and I just thought it was too hard to “take up a cross”.

I thought what does that even mean anyway? Take up a cross? Like how can I even do that? Duh Monique, it’s metaphorically speaking. The cross represented the ultimate sacrifice Jesus was nailed to. The cross represented love. True love….Jesus died on a cross for me. For my sinful life so that I can have a new life. When I focus on the cross and all that it exhibits I can follow Jesus knowing that I am honoring him and all that he did for me. I am to nail my past to that cross and stop looking at the things I nailed to it and endure daily, fighting for what is true in Christ. When I start to “feel” a certain way I give that “feeling” to the Lord and do what the Holy Spirit tells me which 9 times out of 10 will make me feel uncomfortable. But when I switch my perspective to the cross. In that moment, I remember the ultimate sacrifice and know that my little feelings are nothing compared to what Jesus endured. So I pick up my "metaphorically speaking" cross and I carry it with pride honoring my RISEN Savior. I die to me and step by step (daily, every second) I carry that cross knowing that my Father is well pleased in my service to Him. He smiles when I die to me and put him first. 

Sisters, I had to switch my thinking about what the cross meant. How did I do that? Every day in the word sitting at the feet of Christ asking him to fill me with wisdom and his presence. Praying that he gives me his perspective and not mine. Taking up our cross each and every day is hard and yes we will suffer but at the end of that suffering is a beautiful exchange and a eternal reward that this earthly life cannot give us. Sisters, this earth is not our permanent destination, heaven awaits us.  When we follow Jesus we enter HIS kingdom and we are safe but we have to constantly follow Jesus. We cannot follow Jesus when it is convenient for us only. We are no longer this world’s (meaning we don’t just do what we want living in sin) we belong to Christ so we should change. We are his children BUT we need to act like it to. We cannot live messy just because grace exist (that’s another blog post). J

I see taking up my cross daily as a privilege and when I do take up my cross my Father meets me right where I am. He gives me all I need to with stand its weight. We should never be ashamed to carry such a high honor. Jesus says in Mark 8:38 “don’t be ashamed of me and my message among these unfaithful and sinful people! If you are, the Son of Man will be ashamed of you when he comes in the glory of his Father with Holy angels”. I don’t know about you but I find it exciting to live a life following Jesus and carrying my cross daily. I do not want Jesus to be ashamed of me.

In Christ,
Monique Smith

Prayer Starter

Lord, Father God…..I am nothing without you. You came into my life and made me new. You saved me by dying on the cross for me even when you did not have to. You made it possible that I am in right standing with my Father. When I sit with you each day Lord, please open up my heart and mind to your word so that I can be convicted. I want to follow you at all costs and I will take up my cross daily knowing that I am doing so in your name. I cannot do this alone and I need you every second of the day. May I never lose my passion for you. Thank you Jesus, for my salvation. I Love you!! Amen.