For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love and self-discipline - 2 Timothy 1:7

Friday, June 5, 2015

~ A Heart for Jesus ~

I remember when I started to desire more of the Lord whole heartedly and started to care more and more about what Jesus loved vs. me. I remember being so very excited. I was so refreshed BUT when adversity hit I fell flat on my face. I was so defeated, negative and angry. I thought life would change immediately because I was a “Christian” who was saved. I did not know that my new decision would slowly transform me. I thought this was instant. I had too many expectations of the Lord in the beginning of my walk with Him. I was demanding. Like, “Lord, what you are going to do for me today?” and when he did nothing (so I thought) I was pissed. I went back to my old thinking and would drink heavily. It truly was a vicious cycle. 

I was under attack a lot and I did not understand why and I thought it was God teaching me a lesson for being bad all those years. It was not until I understood my enemy when lights went off. I finally understood that I have a true enemy who hated me with so much passion. I was falling victim to his attacks and did not realize the power I had. I believed each lie he told me.

When my prayer life changed and when I starting truly studying God’s character is when life started changing. I started to invite the Holy Spirit to come fill me and show me how to live a new life in Christ. When I opened up the word of God I prayed first. I asked God to make his word come alive in my heart. I wanted a renewed mind, a new mouth and I wanted to be someone who reacted to adversity differently so bad. I wanted help but did not want to put the work in. It was easier to cry and complain and feel sorry for myself at times.

I asked God to help me have his heart and eyes. I asked God to help me hate the sin I used to love. I asked God to change me fully. I prayed this over and over and over until I woke up declaring God’s promises. But I also went through trial because I was shedding new skin and God needed me to stretch my faith so it was this struggle for me. I started to renew my mind and did not know that was happening. Suddenly I became confident. God’s word daily started to make sense. I read in many translations and was engulfed hours and hours alone just me and him. I started being really intentional about my time with Jesus. I made him a priority before the day started. I knew if I did not the enemy would come try and play uninvited. 

The enemy really is not that intelligent, my sisters. He tries to steal the very seeds God plants in us but he really is not all that smart because he forgets that we were purchased with a heavy price tag. He forgets that Jesus, our RISEN Savior already defeated him. He tries to confuse us with his games. You have to realize and be confident in the fact that you are not his property and your life is NOT any of his business. You belong to Jesus as a believer! You will fall BUT God will pick you right back up and set you on HIS path again. You have got to trust that no matter what. 

Sisters, when you understand that your steps are ordered life becomes so exciting. You wake up with a new hunger each day. Each day becomes a gift you slowly unwrap and you start to see life with a different set of eyes. THAT my friends!?!?!?! Is what you call a beautiful l exchange…..

What use to be hard is not anymore because of Jesus. The life you had before does not matter because of Jesus. You no longer live in shame and condemnation. You are new because of JESUS.  Those burdens are lifted. You are free and you start on a lifelong journey with your Father because of Jesus. Will you make Jesus the center of your life? 

I encourage you today. If you are been wrestling with something and need clarity. Pull back from it all. Leave all distractions and sit with your Father for days in fast and prayer. Your thoughts will be cleared and you will start to be focused and there is where you will hear from your gracious King. He is close to those that abide in Him.

In Christ,

Monique Smith

Prayer Starter:

Lord, you are my King. You love me and you see me for who I am. You are my Creator, my way maker, the anchor for my soul, and my steady hand. You are my rock and fortress. You’re my protector and guide. I worship you. Today, I ask for nothing. I just need to know how can I serve you Jesus? Who can I bless today? I press into you Jesus with all my being. Amen