For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love and self-discipline - 2 Timothy 1:7

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

~ Truth Based Thinking ~

For years I struggled with my thoughts and my negative mouth. I talked as if I had no hope or faith. I was able to be happy and positive for everyone else around me except myself. I had major issues with the beliefs I told myself. This type of thinking is what is called “Misbelief Thinking”. This thinking causes you to believe the lies of the enemy. You start to think thoughts of depression, anxiety, anger, bitterness, unforgiveness or self-hate and anything about your past. At this time in my life, my marriage was in shambles, many relationships I had with family members were nonexistent, work was stressful and I relied heavily on my own strength to live life. I was saved keep in mind but I just was not seeing any fruit harvesting in my life. I would just say things that were not true about myself so I was miserable not living anything close to a victorious life. I lived without Jesus but I say I trusted him as my Lord and Savior. 

  I truly believed the lies I told myself. For example, I told myself I was fat and then I started believing it. I ate up so much or at times I did the opposite, I starved myself. I was headed down an ugly path. I thought I need to be free of all this. I must work on this but again tried to do it all on sheer determination, but failed. I refused to incorporate the little the Lord was showing me. I did not know how. 

I so much wanted to live a life full of faith. I seen many do it but did not know what that consist of. Then I starting saying prayers like: “Lord, have your way in me”. Daily I started diving into the word. I wanted my thinking to be changed. This desire, I now know was the Lord moving in me (just did not realize it at the time). I started researching God’s character and his promises such as: 

Psalm 139:14 it says "I am fearfully and wonderfully made". 1 Corinthians 2:16 says "I have the mind of Christ" Romans 5:1 talks about being "justified by faith and that I have peace through Christ Jesus" and lastly Romans 8:28 says "all things work together for my good"  So I thought “Wow, how wonderful is this” Little did I know God was pointing me to these promises so he can start building my faith and trust in Him. He wanted me to renew my mind. One key thing I took away from all of what God was teaching me at the time was that if I speak about how God sees me then my thinking shifts to “Truth Based Thinking”.

Truth based thinking is thinking on thoughts that are pure and good like Philippians 4:8 says. You basically start to see yourself just as the Lord sees you and this is crucial in your walk with the Lord. What was hard started to become easy. Slowly the thoughts become less over time. The more I stored his word in my heart and mind the more I learned how to use the word of God to combat the negative thoughts and misbeliefs I struggled with. I was not paying attention to how I talked to myself before and the enemy used that to his advantage. But today, this is a different story. If the Lord can start to change my “negative thinking” than sisters he can do the same for you.

Today step out in faith. Trust God at his word and every time those thoughts come, start declaring what the word says about you. Watch and see that the Lord is good and he will come to all that truly believing in him. Study his word and ask him to help you. God will never fail you. 

In Christ, 
Monique Smith

Prayer Starter: 

In the name of Jesus, I take authority over my thought life. Even when I walk (live) in my flesh Father, I will not carry on my warfare according to my flesh. I will seek your word and store your promises in my heart. My mind will not wander out of your presence Lord. My life shall glorify you - spirit, soul and body. Whatever is true, worthy and honorable, kind or gracious I will think on these things. Lord, I want more than anything for your will to come to pass in my life, help me to purposely seek after you. I make you the Lord of my life. Amen