For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love and self-discipline - 2 Timothy 1:7

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

~ Decrease Me to Love Father ~


What is love? My version of love had conditions. If you do this for me that means you love me. Anything you did to hurt or offend me meant that you did not love me. To me it actually meant that you cared nothing about me. My love was so dramatic. As a young girl I had a very warped version of love and I trusted no one. This was because of being sexually abused. I thank the Lord he softened my heart and opened my eyes to such truth and revelation about love. I thank Him he came down and rescued me because I was a hot mess ladies. J

The Lord showed me what love is. Love is patient and kind; it is not jealous or it does not hold any record of wrongs. It is not envious and always endures, hoping for the best (1 Corinthians 13:4-7). Love does not wait for you to love back. This understanding was crucial to me when it came to my marriage. Love is selfless, Monique. It is not about you in anyway shape or form! Love thinks about others and not self. It is not prideful. Love forgives and does not hold grudges. Love cuts people slack and does not expect them to be perfect. Love covers a multitude of sins (1 Peter 4:8). God is love!!! Talk about a wakeup call!!

 I don’t know about you but I can always use some work on my “love walk”. Joyce Meyer said something to the effect “take your eyes off yourself and put them more on people”. The Lord is the very essence of love. Jesus says in Matthew 22:36-40 to “love the Lord your God with all your heart and mind which is the first and greatest command. Second, love your neighbor as yourself” If it is the greatest command then I think we should pay attention. Love comes freely when you love the Lord and if you catch the vision he has for you, your love walk changes. You have to have a yielded heart to understand God’s love though. You have to first love yourself with the love of the Lord before you can offer it up like hot cakes. Because God’s love truly lets others be themselves then that means you have to do some changing to let true unadulterated, unconditional love flow.

Good news is the Lord loves to sit beside us and show us his way of doing things. He won’t pressure us because he is a gentleman. But He will patiently wait until we ask him to show us. I challenge you to look up all you can in the Bible about love and write out the verses. Memorize them and get them etched in your heart. Pray that the Lord will help you practice all you have learned. Most of all be patient with yourself. You are growing. Your love walk is vital to growing in Christ, so embrace it.

Be more Sisters! Let’s love others unconditionally, like the Lord loves us.

In Christ,
Monique Smith

Prayer Starter:

Lord, reduce me to love. Help me to decrease so that you can increase. I want to love others unconditionally but I cannot do this on my own. Break my heart with what breaks yours Father so that I can grow into the faith filled, loving woman you need me to be. Thank you for your constant love you show me daily. In Jesus name.  Amen 

We can do no great things, only small things with great love – Mother Teresa