For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love and self-discipline - 2 Timothy 1:7

Monday, August 31, 2015

~ Who do YOU Worship? ~

What is idolatry? It is defined as an extreme adoration, love, or reverence for something or someone. Who or what do you worship this much? That is my question to you today. Who or what gets ALL of you? Friends, if we are not careful we will make idols of many things or people in this life and love them more than God. If and when we do this we leave nothing to offer Jesus because we are to busy giving our ALL to something or someone else. 

In Exodus 20:3-6, God tells us point blank “you shall have no other Gods before me”. We are to not make carved images or anything in its likeness. We shall not bow down and serve any one thing or person is what God goes on to say in Exodus. Just because we don’t carve out little wooden figurines of our kids or spouses doesn’t mean we do not worship them or bow down to them. Jesus is a jealous God. He does not like when his children cherish others or any earthly possession before him. May I share my heart with you?



I had a problem with this. It was unhealthy and destroying my life. I worshiped my husband. I loved him with an extreme adoration that was not healthy. I knew Jesus but not like now. I made my day revolve around what my husband was doing and sometimes thinking. If he was angry I was sad. If he did not like how I did something, I changed it. If he wanted something over the kids I made sure he had his way. If I had to jeopardize me for him, I would. This took place prior to marriage and a little shortly after we married. You see, biblical submission does not look this way. Biblical submission is to honor your HUSBAND unto the Lord, not LIKE he is the LORD. My husband never ever ask me to do any of these things. I am sure sometimes he looked at me with irritation. I just wanted him to love me, REALLY BAD….I looked to him to be my God. When he did not treat me like I FELT he should treat me I was devastated. I had high expectations for this KING of mine. 

I will say during this time I did this, our relationship and marriage was in shambles. Why did I do this? Why did I make my husband this little God in my mind? I will tell you why I did this. I did this because I did not know Jesus for myself in my heart. I did not trust Jesus nor rely on him so I trusted in who was earthly in front of me. I wanted to find ALL my security in my husband. Boy, was that a HUGE mistake!!!! I did not know I was doing this until my relationship with Jesus grew. He opened my eyes to so much. God is a jealous God and when we love, praise and honor anyone or anything above him? Umm, I guarantee your life will fall completely apart. Why? Because we were not made to worship or treat anything or any one person with that much adoration. Idolatry is a sin and is very dangerous. God made us with this deep desire and love ALL for himself, not for our spouses, children, jobs, careers, cars etc. 

Moms, if you are not careful your kids can become an idol. Sure, we are their mommy. They need us. We have an unconditional love for them like no other. But your children DO not come before Jesus. There is an order for a reason. If you do not know this order I encourage you to pray. Ask God to show you what he desires for you in this area. Ask him to reveal himself to you in a way that is only relevant to you. I have no doubt in my mind that he will do just that.

Your careers? Good Lord HAVE MERCY. Many make their jobs their Heavenly Father. They spend so much time and energy trying to advance themselves, it is so ridiculous. If you are loving, praising and worshiping your job what do you have left? Your so tired ripping and running for your company that you cannot even sit quiet with yourself for two seconds without moving on to the next advancement of the ladder. STOP THE MADNESS!



Sisters, I ask you with a sincere heart, WHO or what do you worship? If you are struggling with this I suggest you fall on your knees and ask for forgiveness and pray that the Lord rids you of making false idols. Be honest and open with Jesus. I mean he already knows your heart, it is not like you are hiding something from him. He needs you to voice these sins for yourself and acknowledge your faults and turn to him for forgiveness. 

Today, life is different for me. I know Jesus. I am nothing without him. He is first. I have released all expectations from my husband and I am me. I am a women that LOVES JESUS first. Then comes my husband and after follow my kids. I am so thankful the Lord showed me this. May you worship Jesus and only him. 

In Christ,
Monique Smith

Prayer Starter:

Oh Heavenly Father, we come to you with a sincere heart. Forgive us for making others or material possessions, our jobs or our children our GODS. Help us to know you as our Risen King and Savior and nothing else. Purify our hearts, Jesus. Wash us completely clean. My desire is to get to you know you more. Come personally alive to me. Take off my blinders and I pray that I learn to worship you and only you for the rest of life. I love you, Lord. I magnify your name. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen